17 June 2010

What makes a good comedy club?

As you all know, I love the Comedy Store. I'm starting to think I like it more like a drug than a boyfriend, but regardless, I love it and I hate when anyone speaks ill of the place. Of course, comedians love to bitch about venues and what they do wrong - often onstage - and the Comedy Store is no exception. So being a rational, analytical kind of gal, I try to see both where they are coming from and objectively how much weight the complaints really carry. For comparison, I keep my eyes open when I'm at other shows - whether it's the Laugh Factory or the Improv or a smaller room like the Great & Secret Show or Silent Taco.


And my conclusion is that every place has a lot of the same problems - the schedule runs late or gets jumbled up, they don't have a big enough crowd (especially early or late), the drinks & food are crappy and expensive, untalented folks that people know from TV get priority over the hard working guys who can do a better job... it's pretty much all the same. And I think the problem comes from the economy of comedy in LA not remotely following the law of supply and demand. There are so many places to go see comedy - big show, little rooms, open mics - because there are so many comedians who want the stage time or want to organize their own shows. But there are only so many potential audience members on any given night. Now, you'd think that this would cause some kind of Darwinian whittling down to just the best shows that would be packed on a regular basis. But it doesn't.

So, I got to thinking - what do I think would make a utopian comedy club for both the audience and the comedians?

I like the idea of having the night split into two shows - say 8:30 and 11 - even if you actually let people come in whenever and stay as long as they like. I think it just sets up mental construct that makes people want to stay until the end. I think it would also encourage more people to arrive later so the late comics get some fresh blood.

I think anyone performing that night should get all kinds of perks - free parking and discounted or free food and drinks. Keep 'em happy and help encourage them to show up a little early or stick around if things are running late.

Every show should have a real headliner. I personally always enjoy seeing new guys and like a good set with a bunch of up-and-comers (like Fresh Faces at the Laugh Facory), but I'm not normal. Most people need a name that they recognize to draw them in.

But that should be the only concession to "fame" - the rest of the slots should be based on how the comedian usually does in that room or that type of room, and how the slots will move the flow of the night along.

And more places should be slightly infected with the "inmates are running the asylum" vibe from the Comedy Store. I think for everything bad you can say about it, it fosters a lot more creativity and better performances.

Cheaper fucking drinks for the audience.  Seriously, I already paid $20 to get in the door and now you're going to charge me $12 a piece for a minimum of two well drinks?  This ain't Skybar.

Good seating plan.  So far I like the Comedy Store and the Laugh Factory the best.  Good view of the stage, you feel like you're at a ":real show" but there's not too much separation between the audience and the comedian, so once the energy is up it's easier to keep it going.

That's me on my little soapbox, what do you think would make a comedy venue good or better?

No comments:

Post a Comment