27 June 2010

Just a Saturday Night

Last night was a good night at The Comedy Store.  It's funny because the crowd was much larger on Friday and this one was a little apathetic, but they came around.  I have to admit, I snuck into the Main Room to catch Stephen Rannazzisi's set before the show started in the Original Room and I was pretty happy I did.


Being a new dad, he does a lot of kid humor, but unlike a lot of parent-comedians, it doesn't suck.   What I usually hate about parental bits is that it's a slightly funnier version of the annoying photo/story time you get from all the moms in your office.  But Steve doesn't fall into that trap.  Perhaps that's because so many of the stories - from getting high and watching the Wonder Pets with his kid to the stoned pizza delivery guy - involve smoking pot.

The OR show was a great time, too.  I got to see Aron Kader for the first time, which was excellent.  I also got to watch Leslie rock the room like nobody's business.  She threw in some new bits in between the tried and true and had me laughing so hard I almost couldn't breathe.  The entire room was in hysterics, which was quite a feat since they'd been just sitting there like lumps during the last set and snapped right back into their torpor as soon as Leslie got off.  That is, until Bryan Callen got up.  The man was so good, he kept  the room on his side when he suggested making underwear out of puppies.  Both Leslie and Bryan make good physical use of the stage - though in very different ways - and it must be that putting out all that energy to keep it going just infects the audience.

As usual, the night ended with a great set from The Barris/Kennedy +Overdrive, with special guests Gail, Jacob and Bryan. At that point, Jen and I agreed that Bryan won MVP status for the evening.  Can't wait for Tuesday to see next week's lineups!

No comments:

Post a Comment