03 June 2010

Comedy at the House of Blues

Last night was a hard night to choose where to go see some comedy - there were three shows I wanted to see but I ultimately went with the one that was walking distance from my house to support Shawn Halpin.  And, I have to say, Shawn was the pimp of the show, since he brought 200% more women (me and Jen) to the audience than the one other guy who brought a female.  One of the comics even fittingly did a bit about how comics don't know women so there's never any girls at the godforsaken parties they throw.

Besides the fact that there were only three girls, there were approximately as many people in the crowd as there were comedians set to perform.  That's always a crap shoot.  You never know whether the guys are going to falter for lack of energy or not even try.

I think my favorite was Brent Morin, who was only the second up and really perked up the room with his jokes about being drunk and saying "night, night" to Bradley Cooper.  And since I started following him on Twitter, I've discovered he's a Celtics fan, so that's an extra +10.  Jon Schieszer made me want to date him just because he's not a fucking LA hipster metrosexual whose cardigan matches his Prius and I've decided that my favorite Shawn Halpin punchline is "You know what I hate more than condoms? AIDS and babies" - it's funny because it's true.  Poor Rg thought we were leaving, but we just had to return the beer we'd borrowed and we made it back in time to learn that he'd like to choke us during sex... but ever so gently.

Now, I said Brent was my favorite, but I meant my favorite other than headliner Ian Edwards.  I've seen Ian's 15 minutes at the Comedy Store on a couple of occasions, but we got the treat of an extended set in our relaxed and small environs.  I have to say, for a guy who picks on Jesse Jackson as part of his act, he sure has his own very distinctive cadence.  Which I totally love, by the way.  I just wish he could think of a few more taxes...

These guys periodically put on the FREE comedy shows at House of Blues.  And not only is it free, but there's no drink minimum and it might be your only chance to go hang out in the swanky Foundation Room.  i mean, you're going to a free comedy show, I'm guessing you aren't a member.

Here's some crappy photos I took with my cell phone.

Brent Morin at HOB
Brent Morin

Adam Epstein at HOB
Adam Epstein
Jon Schieszer at HOB
Jon Schieszer
Toby at HOB
Toby

Ian Edwards
Ian Edwards


No comments:

Post a Comment