08 June 2010

The Great & Secret Comedy Show


I try to go catch the Great & Secret Show at the Unknown Theater about once a month, sometimes twice.  Admittedly, the last couple of times I went was motivated mostly by my stalking of Zach Sherwin, but I have loved the Walsh Brothers since Ms E Christi introduced them to me back in Boston.  It's a great show and a nice balance to my mild (ha ha) obsession with the Comedy Store.  As hosts, the Walsh Bros (and friends) are more of a sketch show underpinning, holding the whole show together and often providing the most laughs, rather than emcees who just keep the show moving and the crowd clapping.  The acts are always interesting and a little off the beaten path.  I mean, the sets of Zach Sherwin, Ron Lynch and Erin Judge have very little in common besides being awesome.

The other thing I love about the show is the audience.  Even when it's teeny tiny, it's typically a good crowd who appreciates good comedy and will respond well to new/unusual/interesting stuff that really works.  Of course, the flip side is that some guys get full on crickets if it just isn't working.  No easy laughs from drunk tourists here.  That's because the crowd is mostly other comics - either associated with the theater, with the Walsh Bros, in the show, or lobbying for a spot in a future show.  In fact, the crowd is so comedian-heavy, that Chris Walsh actually apologized to me last night that he hasn't been able to fit me in a line-up yet!  Heh heh, he was much happier when I clarified that i was just a legitimate audience member who likes comedy a little too much.

And in last night's audience, I met someone else who shares my comedy-related mental illness.  I'd seen her at the last couple of G&S shows as well, so we got to talking and discovered we were both comedy obsessors.  Luckily, her favorite place is the UCB and she doesn't much visit the Store, so we didn't have to have Clash of the Titans or anything.  But it was definitely comforting to find out I'm not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment