31 March 2010

Melissa Auf der Maur at the Viper Room

xMAdMx

The show rocked.  I honestly haven't paid much attention to Auf der Maur's career since the Hole/Smashing Pumpkins days.  I vaguely remember a single from her solo album a bunch of years back, but I always thought she was pretty awesome so it seems like a good show to hit up.  It was the album release of her new venture - which is actually more than an album, it's a whole multimedia extravaganza with film and a comic book and probably some other stuff.  Despite my ignorance, it was well worth it.  She rocked, her band rocked.. I really am such a fan of rock artists who just pour their whole heart into it and aren't trying to be hip or ironic or whatever.

Also, Melissa herself is tinier and more beautiful than I had imagined. She's not Kylie Minogue tiny or anything, but from all the music videos I've seen her in, I pictured her as a sort of towering amazon. One thing she does have in common with Kylie is a surprisingly gay (male) following.  Again, I claim ignorance of whatever career and personal factors have affected this, but it was a pleasant change of pace compared to my usual (but still generally awesome) experiences at the Viper.

I definitely plan to get some of her stuff and I hope she's also getting royalties from the Hole stuff that's stuck in my head now (and thus will inevitably be purchased soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment