04 January 2010

Ducati All Stars and Vains of Jenna @ The Roxy

The first show in my new effort to Support The Strip was pretty awesome.  The Ducati All Stars = (Camp Freddy + corporate sponsorship - the sheer number of special guests that usually pop in) and pretty much I would go see Camp Freddy every day if I could.  I think on Saturday it was Donovan, Billy, Steve Stevens, Steve Jones, Jason Bonham, Franky Perez and Mark McGrath.



I missed probably half of Vains of Jenna's set waiting in the will call/ticket line.  I'm not sure why the ticket line at The Roxy is always so slow, though I suspect is has something to do with the large number of people who are "sure I'm on the guest list, if not so-and-so's, maybe I'm on the one for so-and-so.. can you check?"  I'm glad I got to see some of the set, though, because these guys could rock.  It was just straight up, heavy, non-ironic rock and it was awesome.  There was even a throng of people toward the front who were actually moving and dancing along, rather than just staring sullenly and maybe nodding and clapping now and then.  I'd definitely go see them again.

I planted myself in a fantastic spot for the Camp Freddy set - right in front of Billy Morrison's mic and only about 3 people between me and the stage

Billy Morrison at the Roxy

Franky Perez did most of the singing, which was just fine by me, and obviously a lot of the other women in the crowd.  During his second turn on stage three different girls tried to push their way through my area to get as close to the stage as possible.  One failed because she couldn't make it through the crowd with her uselessly massive purse - the other pair spent about 4 songs trying to nudge me and my neighbors out of the way with small kicks and elbows and by pointing at the stage and screaming like it was a New Kids on the Block show and just happening to put their arms right next to your face.  Obviously, they did not know they were dealing with someone trained at Smith in the art of protecting your girl dance circle, skills that are easily applied to holding your ground at a rock show.
Franky Perez
Sorry the photo is all washed out so you can't properly see the hotness that is Franky Perez

Mark McGrath was pretty good, too.  Every time I see him, I can't help but think that he is actually quite awesome, despite being a host of Entertainment Tonight (or Access Hollywood or whatever).  And what really sealed it for me this time was that he self-deprecatingly addressed it with something like "I know a lot of you are thinking, 'Mark McGrath, what the hell is he doing here?' and I'm thinking it, too.  But I'll tell you, no one on this stage is having more fun than I am."  So, good on you, Mr Sugar Ray.

When I went to settle my tab, a guy who could be Bret Michaels' twin (circa 1987) stopped me and pulled a "Haaave you met Ted?" move and introduced me to his pal and made a point that he was from London, oooh.  His friend was wearing jeans that had black stars stenciled all over them, it was pretty over the top.  They seemed nice enough, but I wasn't biting.

I wandered over to The Rainbow afterward, which is becoming a habit.  I finally ventured to the upstairs bar and I am so glad that I did.  I had no idea, but they have a dance floor up there!  It's exactly what I've been looking for in this town and I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment