02 May 2010

Dan Madonia & The Silent Comedy on The Real Sunset Strip

Wow, just wow.  Trina had really been talking up The Silent Comedy for the past couple of weeks and she was not wrong.  Firstly, check out the moustaches!  And then take a listen to the music.  I really don't think any of these YouTube clips do them justice - and everyone at the show on Saturday agreed that this was the best of their recent performances.  Trina had specifically instructed me to wear my dancing shoes and she was not wrong.  I started out standing in the back, sipping my drink and mostly just nodding my head and tapping my feet, but by the second song it was as if my body had taken me right up to the front and started dancing of its own accord.  I had no choice but to give in and boogie down.



I feel like now I'm damning Dan Madonia with faint praise, but he was terrific too.  It's just that The Silent Comedy was mind-blowingly awesome so I had to start with them.  But the night actually started with Dan and he was terrifically funny.  There was one point where the crowd almost turned on him, but he quickly saved it and had pretty much everyone in the place laughing.  And, apparently I can not go see comics anywhere without somehow inserting myself in their act - it isn't just the Comedy Store that brings that out in me.  Dan had this almost throw-away line like "Who's got some tits I can snort some coke off of?" and one guy in the corner was very adamantly raising his hand, so I raised my pointing finger toward him and got "I like how you're volunteering other boobs when you have a perfectly good set, yourself." heh.

Not really sure how The Real Sunset Strip is going to follow an awesome night like that, but heck, I'll settle for about 75% of the awesomeness

No comments:

Post a Comment