07 May 2010

What Day Is It?

Wherein I attempt to beat Time and discover my new musical guru, that you can't go back to 20 again, and that I have a serious nerdy glasses fetish


LINKS Space 15 Twenty 01

AJ McLean at The Roxy

Lady Sinatra Viper Room 2



Seriously, at one point last night, I was looking at the Gallery Hours at Space 15 Twenty, which said it was closed Monday & Tuesday and I thought "Oh, then why are the lights on?"  because it's not Monday, it's Thursday, Amy.  I blame the entirely too much fun I had on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday but it also may be that I was literally trying to be in 4 places at once last night.

So, Trina is the one who clued me in that the Silent Comedy show was going to be epic, and she was right.  So when she posted about the free LINKS show at Space 15 Twenty, I figured it was worth a look.  The thing is, I already had tickets to see AJ McLean at the Roxy that night AND I had just learned Lady Sinatra was playing the Viper Room and I wanted to go to all three.  Actually, I also wanted to go see Head Cat at The Key Club, but I knew that was just plain impossible.

Anyway, after grabbing a burger and a Fin du Monde at Lucky Devils with Rachelle, I got to Space 15 Twenty just in time for the beginning of LINKS's set.  And wow, they were great.  Right then and there, I resolved to blindly follow Trina on whatever path of musical discovery she was willing to lead me.  Sadly, I couldn't stay for the full set because I was taking the bus to get over to the Roxy.  The bus ran late, but luckily musicians always run late too, so the set started about 20 minutes after I got there, though of course I was then cursing the extra time I could have spent with LINKS had I known.

Now, before I start to talk about the show, let's back up and review Amy's history of musical appreciation.  My father was in a rock band when I was a kid, so like any good little girl who idolizes her dad, I dutifully loved  Whitesnake, Bon Jovi and Poison.  I can still remember the first time I saw the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in 8th grade and I spent most of high school listening to angsty grunge.  This kept up into college, when hip hip started to grow on me thanks to Quad Parties.  But I was still pretty scornful of anything too poppy... until I went Junior Year Abroad to Hungary and ended up watching German MTV and Viva TV almost constantly.  This was '99, so Britney, Christina and the Backstreet Boys were huge, as well as Euro favorites Kylie and Robbie Williams.  In fact, it was Robbie Williams' cheeky self-deprecation that opened my heart to the delicious joys of the genre.  I actually kept trying to resist and, in fact, managed to turn off the TV during the first two bars of "Genie in a Bottle" for about 3 months because I knew that as soon as I heard it, I'd love it (and I did).  But ultimately, I was won over and the Backstreet Boys' music featured heavily in my favorite year at college.

And more than just liking the Backstreet Boys, I was especially fond of AJ, who I figured had the best chance of pulling a Robbie Williams/Justin Timberlake move (becoming more popular as a solo artist than in the boy band he came from).  So I was earnestly excited to see him perform, but I have to admit that there was a part of me that was in it for the ironic kitsch factor.  And that was an unfortunate confluence of emotions that really didn't allow me to enjoy the show.  The earnestly excited part of me was sort of bummed to see my boy band idol 10 years older and the other half of me was really put off by the roomful of 30-somethings who were singing along to all the words of songs on an album I'd never even heard of.  I did enjoy a couple of the songs and I was glad to hear that AJ's still got great pipes and is a fantastic showman.

The other thing I really liked was his trumpet player.
AJ McLean Horn Section

And that's when I realized that I have a thing for guys in nerdy glasses.  The last 4 guys I've been involved with have worn them at least part of the time and I always encouraged the ones who usually did contacts to wear the glasses instead when we were going to see each other.  Though probably I should have figured out my little predilection on Wednesday when the only thing I contributed to the Scheff Experience was to try to get him to put on his nerdy glasses, too.

So after about 6 songs, I made my escape over to the Viper Room for Lady Sinatra.  Also very awesome.  Also Trina-approved.  And I managed to actually catch the whole set!  I never have much to say about bands I like, other than that they are awesome, so that's all I've got for Lady Sinatra.

To digress a bit, I'd like to close by thanking Dan Madonia for driving as much google search traffic to my blog in the last week as the query "How to get scary skinny"  People love to google that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment