28 April 2010

Foursquare Mayor of the Comedy Store, Bitches!

I am the Foursquare Mayor (hunh?  What's that?  Read here) of my laundromat and my yoga studio.  Mainly just because I think I'm the only person who has checked in to either place more than once.  Not exactly cool.  So I was incredibly excited when my after-midnight visit to The Comedy Store on Monday night earned me the Mayoral title!

The funny thing is that I had never even been to the Comedy Store until the StripCrawl.  It's stupid really.  I love comedy and this is literally the closest comedy club to my home (just up the hill!) and a pretty awesome one, to boot.  I had tried to go a couple of times, one time we ended up at the Improv instead and the rest of the times the "Let's stop into the Trocadero for a drink first" plan turned into "Let's just stay at the Trocadero until closing time."  But now the place has an irresistible pull for me - especially after midnight.  The crowd thins out and the comics are edgier, drunker and often funnier.  I've also noticed they tend to talk directly to the crowd a lot more.  I don't know if that's considered kind of hacky and a crutch to other comedians, but as an I'm-the-center-of-the-universe egotist in the audience, it's appealing to me.  And, especially since my Jenny Lane Tour, I tend to know at least one or two people hanging out in the back, so I have entertainment if I get bored of the guy on stage.

I was actually starting to get a little self-conscious of my newfound addiction to the 1 am comedians after wandering over there late-night, mid-week last week but now that it confers bragging rights (albeit, nerdy, nerdy bragging rights) I will proudly own up to my secret weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment